share

| More

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Meditating on Psalm 16

Psalm 16 does not make sense unless we see God as our true ultimate treasure—our beautiful inheritance. All our other “treasures” are idols if they are apart from God. God is our source of good, apart from Him nothing we could want would be good. We are also utterly incapable of being good apart from Him. Someone who loves Jesus, ought to take delight in and invest in His people. Our good is their good—we are one Body in Christ. Being in relationship with the Living God and His people is a beautiful inheritance. Our Loving God speaks to us and instructs us through His Word. The more we pursue prayerful study of and meditation on His Word, the more it will be written in our hearts---the more it will guide us, refresh us, and empower us in times of darkness, even when our Bibles are not in front of us. I cannot do anything apart from the Lord, I need Him always! This thought ought to cause me to be in constant conversation with Him throughout my day. We have peace and joy because we know that one day, we will be with Him with no separation of any kind. Our sin will be gone. We will see Him face to face, and our best day here will be incomparable with the fullness of joy we will experience in Heaven. This life is not the end. And when we die, we will not rot, nor will we experience the wrath of God for our sins (if Jesus is our Lord). Now THIS is reason to worship!


Psalm 16

16:1 Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.2 I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;I have no good apart from you.”

3 As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones,in whom is all my delight.

4 The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply;their drink offerings of blood I will not pour outor take their names on my lips.

5 The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;you hold my lot.6 The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.

7 I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;in the night also my heart instructs me.
8 I have set the Lord always before mebecause he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.

9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;my flesh also dwells secure.
10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,or let your holy one see corruption.

11 You make known to me the path of life;in your presence there is fullness of joy;at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

No comments: