share

| More

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Respectable Sins

I just finished reading an extremely helpful, convicting book by an author I have come to really respect, Jerry Bridges. The book is called, "Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate." The book addresses our hypocricy in tolerating the subtle sins with which most of us struggle. Some of these sins as addressed in the book are ungodliness, anxiety and frustration, discontentment, unthankfulness, pride, moral self-righteousness, pride of correct doctrine, pride of achievement, an independent spirit, selfishness (with our interests, time, money), inconsideration, lack of self control (with eating and drinking, our temper, personal finances, tv, hobbies, impulse buying, etc), impatience, irritability, anger (toward God and others), weeds of anger (resentment, bitterness, enmity, hostility, grudges, etc.), judgmentalism (over differing convictions, doctrinal disagreement, and having a critical spirit, etc.), envy, jealousy, competitiveness, controlling, gossip, slander, lying, harsh words, sarcasm, insults, ridicule, worldliness (with our money, idolotry, our interest in the immorality of others--which he calls "vicarious immorality" in our obsession with tabliod and gossip magazines, shows, etc)

Ouch, is that list convicting!

While I might not fully agree with every application in the book, I found myself both convicted and encouraged in reading it. I came to see in greater measure the subtlety, depth, deceit, and vile nature of the sins of my own heart and the outward expressions of it...but I also saw in greater measure the vast love and grace of the Savior who not only rescued me from hell, but made me His daughter and has promised to transform me by HIS GRACE and the power of HIS SPIRIT!

No comments: