share

| More

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Fun Recipes


I was at Central Market the other day and they were doing a cooking demonstration with grilled pork and Pineapple Papaya Relish. It tasted yum, so I thought I would try making it. Generally, I rarely cook or eat pork, but I thought I would give it a try since it was so good. I just grilled the pork on a grill pan with some extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper and topped it with Pineapple Papaya Relish.

Here is the recipe for the Pineapple Papaya Relish. I never follow recipes exactly, so I added another clove of garlic and a few tablespoons of fresh cilantro:

2 cups finely diced fresh pineapple
1 cup finely diced fresh papaya
1 finely diced red bell pepper
½ cup finely diced sweet onion
1 garlic clove
1 small fresh hot green chili (Serrano or Thai), seeded and minced (wear gloves or Ziploc bag)
2 tablespoons mint leaves
salt and pepper to taste

In a bowl, combine all ingredients. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Serve at room temperature on top of the hot grilled pork.

Two nights later, I took the left over pineapple papaya relish and made up a chicken dish. I took boneless skinless chicken breast and cut it into thin strips. I sautéed it in a little bit of olive oil with salt and pepper for a couple minutes. Then, I poured the leftover relish into the pan. I added about 2 tablespoons of corn starch and whisked it into the liquid, fully dissolving it. (I added a little bit of water.) I drizzled sesame oil over it and added some sesame seeds to it. I added salt to taste. I then chopped a couple cloves of fresh garlic and threw it into the mix. I let it simmer for a bit and the sauce thickened. I served this dish over brown rice.

Kristian loved it after a very long day at work (He has been working 7 days per week at least 14 hours per day for the past three weeks! Please join me in praying for his spiritual, physical, and mental health to make it through one more week of this until the boats finally leave Seattle for Alaska! He is such a hard worker, and I am so proud of him and blessed to be his wife.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, K-diggity. Praying for you!

nish